[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
V8 Diesel Tech • Se emne - We’re in business!
Registrer deg    Logg inn    Forum    Søk    Hjelp

Forumets hovedside » FSD / PMD Testen » Jarl Ove » In English

Opprett et nytt emne Svar på emnet  [ 1 innlegg ] 
Forfatter Melding
 Innleggets emne: We’re in business!
 Innlegg Skrevet: 23 Jul 2007 11:22 
Avlogget
Brukerens avatar

Jarl Ove starts the test

06. 22. 2006

Hi Odd!

We talked yesterday about overheating in the PMD, as cause of a bad lift pump.
I switched that pump today, and have driven several miles after this.

Looks like your theory can be right so far, because the PMD has a lower cruising temperature after the pump switch.
I measured the flow of diesel through the pump, and it gave over 2 litres per minute.
This was without the engine idling, and only the pump hotwired.
This pump is a “highly” effective” pump, so I assume it gives a little more than stock.

Jarl Ove

My reply

Hey!
That was fast!
So, you got lower temps on the PMD?
I suspected this..

I need to get hold of a 6mm T-linkage, then I’ll send you another package.
I’ll contact USA, so they can tell me the max operating pressure of the LP.
Now, we need to find out what pressure you’re running on with your new LP.
Then, we’ll find out if there are any temperature/pressure relations…
I’ve got to make some calls tonight.

Later

No rest for the wicked

06. 23. 2006

I made a long trip today, just to make sure that the temp really is lower with the new LP.
Earlier, even with cooling fans, it came over 50°C.
Now, with the new lift pump, it’s stabile below 40°C, even with hard driving.
My temp meter isn’t 100% accurate, but it gives a good indication.

I’m stunned…

Jarl Ove

Jarl Ove’s testing more

06. 27. 2006

I’ve tested the PMD with and without cooling fans, with the new lift pump, and it’s stabile
below 35°C regardless driving load, and even air temperature.

When the engine is idling, the temp rises to 60°C in no time, without cooling fans.
But when I start driving, it cools down to 35°C again.
With engine idling, and cooling fans mounted, the temp rises to app 45°C, no matter how long idling.
Was thinking of putting in the old lift pump again, but didn’t have the time today.
Think it’s worn out anyway…
The PMD temp is much lower with the new lift pump, that’s for sure!
Think you’re on to something here Odd, and we need to investigate this more.
It’s a major difference with the new lift pump.

Jarl Ove

Then the needed answers come…

06. 26. 2006

Mounted the old lift pump today, and drove a long way to find some real uphill.
When I arrived there, I locked the car in 2. gear, and started the climb.
The pressure with the old LP, was stabile at 0-1 PSI.
After some hundred metres, it was nothing left in the engine. No power.
This was like I remembered it.
In uphill, and when passing other vehicles, the engine lost it’s power, and I had to ease on the throttle to build up pressure.
Then it was OK again, until the pressure again dropped to zero.
The RPM was stabile, but no rise..

Left the engine idling for 10 minutes when I got home, and the temp went up to 70°C.
After 10 more minutes, the temp showed no increase over 70°C.
In my opinion, this is too high for the electronics…
The hood was closed, so I’d get max temp from the engine.
I’ll let it cool down 10-15 minutes now, and check it later.

My suspicion is that the heat from the engine is damaging the PMD, even when it’s mounted on the inner fender, like mine.
With no circulation, I imagine that a PMD mounted on either the IP, or on the intake, will be damaged by engine heat.
With the old lift pump, I got a “hick-up” at full throttle.
This never occurred with the new one.

I’m thinking of a parallel connection of the two LP (old and new) to get even more stabile fuel pressure.
What do you think about that?
I have a little trouble finding the right parts for this, but maybe you’ll help me out?

Read the report from Bill Heath, and I disagree with what he says.

We NEED a stabile pressure of least 5-6 PSI no matter what RPM, to feed the injection pump good enough.
Not even sure that’s good enough…

Would also be fun to tune the ignition a little bit, to see how the engine behaves..
Suspects mine to be a little low…

Checked the temp on the PMD now, and it seems like idling and traffic jams are most critical then it comes to engine heat on the PMD.

The last thing Jarl Ove did, before he went on a vacation, was to recruit two new people for testing.
He delivered the equipment to the next on the list..

Jarl Ove and his wife was supposed to return from vacation 08.12.2006, but only she returned.

He fell asleep, and never woke up again…

R. I. P. Jarl Ove

Vedlegg:
Jarl Ove.jpg
Jarl Ove.jpg [ 67.3 KiB | Vist 3407 ganger ]
Topp 

Vis innlegg fra forrige:  Sorter etter  

Opprett et nytt emne Svar på emnet  [ 1 innlegg ] 

Forumets hovedside » FSD / PMD Testen » Jarl Ove » In English

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 1 gjest

Du kan ikke opprette nye emner i dette forumet
Du kan ikke skrive innlegg i dette forumet